"interactive services detection" issue with Acrosync


I have recently installed the Acrosync service, and found that i get a pop-up window stating that the "interactive services detection" found that Acrosync is in need of user input.   However, I am unable to see the message.   When i click the "show message" button, the system hangs, and then eventually goes to the user login screen.   Is anyone aware of a setting in Acrosync (or with the service) that causes this behavior?

This is happening in Windows 10.



  • How did you install the service?  Run 'sc qc acrosyncclient' in the Command Prompt window, and make sure the path name has the -s option.

    The logs under the same directory as the executable may also give some hints.

  • I am having this issue with Acrosync 1.6 32-bit for Windows.  The dialog that is shown in session 0 when I switch to it says "*** Caught unhandled unknown exception; terminating".

    There are no logs in the same folder as the executable. The verbose log showing file transfers does not show any problems.

    The "-s" is properly included in the command line of the service setup as checked using the command line in this thread.

    What should I do next to debug this?

  • I was successful in creating a dump of the process. How do I share the file with you?
  • Do you have a Dropbox or Google Drive account that you can upload the file to and then share?
  • PM sent.
  • Thank you for providing the dump file.  Unfortunately the stack trace shows that an exception occurred in Windows system code, not in Acrosync's application code, so the root cause of the exception can't be known from the dump file.

  • Thank you for looking at the dump file. I have worked around the problem temporarily by disabling the Acrosync service. What I was able to determine is that the crash is happening at startup of the computer, when the service starts.  I can cause the crash by stopping the service and restarting it, using  "SC START AcrosyncClient32", for example.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the procdump program to work when the computer starts, so I haven't been able to capture a process dump then.

    If there is not a way to debug this problem, then I guess I will just proceed with the service disabled.
  • When you run "SC START AcrosyncClient32" to replicate the crash, does procdump produce a dump file?
  • Thank you, gchen.

    To clarify, the procdump command line was the reason that the dump I sent to you before went off into Microsoft code.  I had the interactive client running at the same time, so that process (first match) is the one that dumped. I have uploaded a new dump file for you to look at. PM if you need a reminder of the file location.

    In case others may benefit, the procedure I had to use was:

    1) Close any running Acrosync
    2) Download PSTools and ProcDump from Microsoft
    3) Run Command Prompt as Administrator
    4) In Administrator Command Prompt: sc.exe stop AcrosyncClient
    5) In Administrator Command Prompt: sc.exe config AcrosyncClient start= demand
    6) In Administrator Command Prompt: psexec.exe -s -d -i cmd.exe
    7) In SYSTEM Command Prompt: procdump.exe -w AcrosyncClient -ma -e 1 -n 1
    8) In Administrator Command Prompt: sc.exe start AcrosyncClient
  • One more clarification: I am running Windows 7.
  • It is a bug caused by throwing an exception before the exception handler was set up.  The reason why it threw an exception was that it couldn't find a license.  So you just need to activate the license first with the GUI program (ran as administrator) and the problem should go away.

    I'll fix this bug in the next update.
  • edited June 2018
    Thank you, gchen.

    I just want to let you know that even after running the GUI as Administrator and confirming that the program shows that it is licensed and it works, the service still fails when it starts up.

    I noticed the comment you made in a more recent thread; I checked that the License key was the same in the HKLM and HKCU hives.

    I ended up exporting the registry and editing it, then importing to go into HKU\.DEFAULT.  This has worked.

    Looking forward to testing the next update.
Sign In or Register to comment.